I'm Patrick Gaffney. This is my blog. Deal with it.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Memories

More then once I have tried to write the story of my life. Not that I think its all that intresting, Its just something I’ve tried to do.

It’s harder to do then you would think. Memories don’t seem to flow from a point A to a point B. The memory of kissing a girl when I was 15 isn’t next to the Chrstmas of that year (which was only a few days later), It’s next to memories of the last girl I dated. Even the memory of the wake I visited this evening isn't next to the meeting at chuch I went to an hour later, it's next to the memories of my great-grandmothers wake when i was 8 or 9. and Greg Vinson's wake when I was 19 or 20 and had to face a friend dying for the first time in my life.

It’s hard to access memories in a way that it makes sense as a story. I can tell what happened at certain times and in certain places. But to make my whole life into a story, it’s harder then I thought.

One neat thing about writing. I have had this idea for some charaters and a setting for them bouncing around in my head for years, but I could never figure out a way to make it work. It was these bits and peaces of this story, and I knew they were the same story, but I couldn't figure out what the story was. I think I may have figured it out and I've actually started to do some research on things.

I just wish I could make the story of my life fit together in the same way.

No comments: